The three c’s in life: choice, chance, change…

…you must make the choice, to take the chance, if you want anything in life to change.

After catching the red-eye home and begrudgingly re-entering reality (more on Vegas later, thank you for all the suggestions!), I got promoted at work. Pretty neat, n’est pas?

Most people would be filled with excitement, or at least a tiny feeling of accomplishment. Instead, I lost my mind in a bathroom stall.

What am I doing with my life? Why am I not any closer to fulfilling my dreams? Do I even know what they are? Am I just an overprivileged brat incapable of being content with a pretty comfortable life?

No idea. Laziness? Nope. Probably.

This was my Elizabeth Gilbert moment. Minus the voice of God whispering to me and the crumbling marriage. Okay. Perhaps not an apt comparison at all. Either way, it felt monumental.

Someone once told me it was not advisable to make any big decisions after travelling, but I actually feel like this may the best time to do so. I always feel most honest with myself when coming back from gallivanting across the world.

Have you ever made a life-changing decision after being abroad? Thoughts?

Current Status: missing the bright lights / working through my existential crisis / officially a Lena Dunham convert

19 thoughts on “The three c’s in life: choice, chance, change…

1. ItalianHurricane says:

I feel so close to you right now! I can really relate to your Elizabeth Gilbert moment, and I actually agree about being more honest with yourself after travelling. When you travel you are closer to your inner self, I think, but you also get some distance from the situation, so when you come back everything seems a little bit clearer…
    My best decisions were taken after travelling and sometimes while travelling.
    Is that you in the picture? That tattoo is gorgeous and the hair too!

Thanks! Yes it is me. Tattoo is not real; we decided to get fancy with stick-on gold tattoos. They were a lot of fun for going out, ha-ha. My mom had a heart attack when she saw that picture, she thought I had gotten one.

I’ve been back almost a week, and still feel inspired. I don’t think it will wear off this time around. πŸ™‚

1. Glad you enjoyed your trip and made it home safely.

2. Yes – traveling opens our eyes to what else is possible and available in this big, wide world. I know when I got home from my year as an exchange student at age 17 I could not wait to continue traveling. You have to find a way to balance your desires and dreams with the reality of being able to support yourself. If you can afford to travel and still live, go for it. Now’s the time – when you don’t have any other responsibilities holding you back. As a person with a disability, the logistics of frequent travel prevent me from doing it as often as I like.

But, in three days I leave for two weeks in Australia – and plenty of people told me that would never happen πŸ™‚ If you have a plan, and a way to make it happen – go!

1. Thanks, Dee. It was an amazing trip.

2. I cannot imagine a life without travel. I agree–this is the time for changes. No kids, no huge responsibilities.

I really hope you have an amazing trip, but know that you will. πŸ™‚ Going to scope out your blog today to see if you’ve posted anything!

3. Karyn says:

I can relate to your existential crisis. I vote make a decision while you are refreshed, clear headed and before you turn back into a zombie stumbling through a life you don’t really enjoy.

4. Rebecca Meyer says:

I have felt this crisis of “What am I doing with my life?” but it was related to the fact that I felt stuck. I had actually always wanted to work abroad, but just hadn’t taken the steps to do it, and so I felt like I wasn’t taking the chances I should be. I was just settling for something different.

But now I think it’s time I changed that! πŸ™‚

5. Kellybean says:

Well said. I’m going through a similar thing right now, wondering if I am working towards the right career for myself. I find I am more myself after travelling too because it gives you a chance to step back and see your real life from a distance which can put it into better perspective for you.

Exactly. Do you have any trips coming up?

The excitement of this one hasn’t worn off for me. I’ve gained perspective and I really am going to use this year to figure out what my passions are, and to relentlessly pursue…

6. Girl, Independent says:

First of all – congratulations!! Go you on your promotion. That’s fab, as us Brits say.

Secondly, and I say this as someone who has had that Elizabeth Gilbert moment and is looking back on it now with knowing and experience, is: don’t sweat it too much. Go with it. It’s *absolutely* ok to have panic attacks and it’s okay to go with your feelings and just *be*. Make sure you have time to yourself to listen to both your heart and head, and go with what you want to – no matter what decision you make, regardless – it *will* be fine. Just make sure you do what makes you happy, in anything πŸ™‚

First of all – thank you! I’m starting to think it is a bit fab.

Secondly, I got there. Just took me a bit. It’s a balance between heart and head. I’m not the type of person that will just off and go into the world, leaving all financial security and comfort. Elizabeth Gilbert had a book deal and had the ability to just leave everything and go on her amazing adventure. Good for her; not realistic for me.

One day at a time!

It’s one of the reasons I was instantly drawn to your tagline and story: “One girl’s story of not giving up the day job”

πŸ™‚

7. theunconventionaldulhan.com says:

Congrats on your promotion! Travelling certainly gives the chance to reflect and assess our current situations. For me it has always been a positive experience about initiating a much needed change! As long you do things that make you happy while remaining true to yourself!