Debbie Downer Days.

badday

It’s been 15 days since my last post – the longest I’ve not contributed to my blog since its humble inception.

I’ve allowed myself to snowball into an all-encompassing horrible mood, where I just sit around in my underwear, eat deep-dish pizza and shake my fist at my Christmas tree in disdain, as its twinkling lights mock my sad existence. I’ve been avoiding my blog because I haven’t wanted to dive into picking apart these feelings.

I feel guilty because instead of finding my inner zen, I seem to be excelling in finding my inner lush (is it too late to change my domain name?).

I need to get a goddamn grip, wipe the marinara sauce off my chin, put some pants on and chalk it up as a few minor setbacks – nothing more.

Today marks a new month. January: I survived. February: I hobbled through. March: will be my turning point.

What do you do to get yourself out of a bad-mood spiral or work through setbacks in your life? Weigh in, my internet therapists!

Current Status: marathoning through Lena Dunham’s Girls / sporting carb face / healing my liver

21 thoughts on “Debbie Downer Days.

I’ve been thinking about you. You’ll never find your inner sexy super-fox if you don’t take some action! I know it’s hard. But do one thing tomorrow, just one, to change your routine. Paint your nails, wear a sexy bra, whatever you choose. Just make one change for you, not for anyone else.

Thanks, Dee! I was thinking about you as well, and how much I missed my wise blog therapists.

I will take your advice; I need to change my routine and do something for myself to get out of this funk (I also need to stop consuming my weight in carbs, but that’s a different story!).

I hope you have a wonderful trip to Australia, and that you take plenty of pictures to share! Australia has always been one of my dream trips, and I’ve even dabbled in the thought of living there for a year.

2. delildel says:

I’ve had those moments that you’re going through–those moments where you don’t really feel like doing anything but slouching around and not really being anywhere. These moments probably feel awful to most people.

But I enjoy them because I feel that you don’t have to be productive all the time. Think of this as a break or a resting point. Haha, we always have so much going on in our lives at one time, and we’re always seemingly busy, but we don’t have to live like that. So, as if finding your inner zen, you can just sit there, close your eyes, and breathe. 🙂

• desertdates says:

Amen. Sometimes you gotta just wallow in the feels for a while, indulging in sad music and stream of consciousness journaling. Write until you have some kind of insight or until you feel purged. Talk to mates about your shitty feelings.
      Then once you get sick of wallowing in sorry to say it but you gotta exercise. Endorphins be the shiz, dawg. Don’t try to be happy, don’t force it but get yourself in a good routine of daily exercise. Make a sweet running playlist or go get shouted at by a gym instructor.
      Also read good books and be kind to yourself.

• delildel says:

haha, yes. Exercise is a great way to get out of a slump because it keeps you busy and makes you feel better, both physically and mentally. It really clears your head. A good suggestion is to start with a beginner’s class at the gym or a community center because it keeps you social and it’s a commitment

• Karyn says:

…or, if you feel it’s time for a change, “a turning point”, then you can: take a class for FUN, join a social club (book, hike, wine tasting,etc. Check out online a “MeetUp” in your area), set a goal of a walk a day (or better yet, a hike a week), get back into ‘dating’ – try the online thing if you want to take it slower, take up Yoga, volunteer (you’ll always find people worse off than yourself,..not to make you feel worse or guilty, just a change in perspective), volunteer at a shelter, list some things you could do to take your mind of yourself; babysit for someone that could use a break, walk a neighbor’s dog, shovel a sidewalk or driveway (if you live in a winter-wonderland as I do)…gosh there ‘s so much more to list but you get the idea. A good way to stop thinking about your problems is to help someone else with theirs. Sermon over.

3. reallifemarti says:

I think I know what you’re saying. I’ve been in sweat pants for two weeks solid and have only visited the grocery store lately. But hibernation time is passing and we are only a sunny day away from getting it together.

4. notbatty says:

Only you can look after you, ain’t nobody else gonna do it for you. Do what you need to do. I think us blog-therapists are fab because we’re human and we’ve all been where you are (some of us are in a very similar situation right now) and we read your blog and we get it. But you probably already know what will help you put yourself back together: Healthy food? Some kind of project? Exercise? What inspires you? What do you like? Don’t think about it too much. Commit to something for yourself and do it – don’t get sidetracked, just do it. Paint the bathroom, bake your own bread, write a short story, borrow a dog and take it for a walk etc etc, yadda, yadda, yadda – you know what I’m talking about …

5. Rebecca Meyer says:

I’ve definitely been having a lot of those Debbie Downer days lately. Blogging helps a lot. Going out with friends (even when I want to just stay in and mope) also helps, because hanging out with friends gets my mind off things.

I should do yoga, because I know that’s worked in the past. But sometimes my laziness gets the best of me…

6. that traveling nurse says:

*warm hugs from florida* I dont know you in real life but I was wondering where you were these past few days. Im glad to know you’re okay physically (although if you keep pigging out and not exercising that will be another story). Emotionally we know you’re a mess. But aren’t we all? Its just how we cope and deal with it. I had a low point in my life at one point (not boy related) and like some of them here suggested, I volunteered with Habitat for Humanity, a non profit group that builds homes for the less fortunate ones. I ended up working there but the emotional release that I received from helping others was such a salve to my wounded heart. I pray you find peace and comfort somehow.

7. ohdearbez says:

Oh, man. I get you. Right now it’s past 2am in the morning and I’m not sure, but is it possible to be too lazy to go to bed??? Also it’s about time for a shower, but showers are wet… Ugh! Good luck too you.

B x

8. Christine says:

I’m going through a terribly painful heartbreak at the moment, and am in this wallowing stage right now.
    I am so incredibly thankful that I stumbled across this blog. This is exactly what I needed!
    I love your writing style, and am also enjoying reading through everyone’s comments and thoughts. It’s reassuring me that I am not alone..
    I look forward to reading more from you!!

Hi Christine,

I’m glad to hear it’s been helpful for you. In the midst of my own breakup, I scoured the internet for people sharing similar experiences, and I always found it comforting to know I wasn’t the only one.

Rest assured, everyone is indeed correct, and time does heal all. Though the process seems irritatingly slow at times, one day you wake up and you realize you are over it. And in addition to that, life is more awesome now than it was with your former flame! Huzzah!

I hope you are slowly working your way through it. I just posted a new post on some of the pearls of wisdom I picked up along the way; may be a helpful read.

Thanks for the kind words and comments. 🙂